In 1893 Anglican services in Exeter were held in the Badgery’s home, ‘Vine Lodge’. With the support of early pioneering families including the Badgerys, the Yarwoods and the Yates, St Aidan’s was built and opened for worship in July 1895, being dedicated on 11th January, 1896. It was extended to the west in 1903 and the western end completed in 1995.
St Aidan’s is of a style based on the ancient Celtic churches of Scotland. The walls are built chiefly of rough trimmed local basalt, mainly from Indigo Creek at the bottom of School Lane, Exeter. The arches, door and window surrounds are of sandstone from Bundanoon. A sturdy Celtic cross of stone, having a separate nimbus and points fleury, surmounts the main gable of the slate roof (replacing shingles in 1929). The semi-circular east window depicts the Good Samaritan and is dedicated to the Badgery family.
In 2005 the Communion table and rail were moved to the western end of the church and seating for the congregation changed to provide easier access to the communion rail, improve visibility and provide an area for young children.
The Church Hall was built in 1922 as a War Memorial.
The grounds of St Aidan’s are laid out as a park, featuring hedged sweeping lawns, dominated by oaks, elms and other trees. A residence was built in the grounds in 1996 and is occupied by the Assistant Minister.